A native Iowa Citian who returned to raise my family here, I find myself *far* more opinionated when it comes to everything from the restaurants to the city council. Here is my $.02.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Sandwiches

I love sandwiches.

There is something about them that fills the void. Hot or cold. So why does it seem like a good, I mean really good, (cure a hangover type good) sandwich is so hard to find in Iowa City? If I had more time, experience in the food industry and some money, I would open a little sandwich shop. It would be called Tin Whistle. I would have tee shirts that read "I Tin Whistle."

Let me get started on my dissection of the sandwich shops I have frequented in the area.

Subway
Various locations

First word that comes to mind: Bleh. Another one: WHY? Yet another: Inedible.

Rating (Out of possible 5): -34

Bread that is leathery like a dog's raw hide (and about as flavorful) are the basis and bulk of Subway's sangys. Let's talk about that damn triangle wedge out of the top. It doesn't constitute easy eating if you ask me. The meat is almost clear, the tomatoes are clear and the cheese is all processed. I am convinced that if they didn't pay such big bucks on movie placement marketing, they would be out of business. If I had to choose a favorite menu item, it would be the gritty pre packaged chocolate chip cookies.


Milios (Formerly known as Big Mikes)
Various locations

First word that comes to mind: Almost.

Rating (Out of possible 5): 4 1/2 (The 1/2 is for speedy delivery.)

The bread makes these sandwiches. The meats are good and the cheeses are not processed, ding ding ding! For some reason, the insides always slide out of my sandwich and I find myself gnawing on the side of it like a rabid squirrel. The #4 sans sprouts is my favorite.

Mike vs. Jimmy
I am going to conserve my energy and tell you that Jimmy Johns is the exact same. Milio's is owned by Mike Liautaud (leo-toe) and JJ's is owned by Jimmy John Liautaud. Jimmy John's has something Mike's does not...The Gargantuan. The holy mother load. A heart attack on bread. It's every meat, cheese and every topping they have piled on and smooched closed.


Quiznos
Various locations
Save your breathe and don't go to Court/Scott Blvd location

First word that comes to mind: So-so.

Rating (Out of possible 5): 2

The food is decent but at this particular location, they can't seem to get it right. This might be due to the fact that every time I have gone in there, there are high school boys working. They are usually in the seating area eating and make me wait a good two minutes before coming up, while looking horridly annoyed, to take my order. Kidz meals are supposed to come with "Kidz sub, Kidz drink, Kidz snack & a surprise!" We got the sub. Nice going. They stuck me with a thirsty, toy & cookie deprived two year old. That was a fun car ride home.


Blimpies
Various locations
(I prefer 2221 Rochester Avenue)

First word that comes to mind: Delish.

Rating (Out of possible 5): 4

I am a Blimpie fan. Great bread. Fresh sliced meat. This particular location has an exceptional staff who always offer you the best deal with a smile. Some people argue that they slice their meat with the same blade as the cheese. If you are a strict vegetarian, I see your point. If not, shut the hell up and eat.


Hungry Hobo
517 South Riverside
Iowa City, IA 52246
Also, in Coralville on 1st Avenue.

First word that comes to mind: Elementary.

Rating (Out of possible 5): 3

Good sandwiches. Hard to screw up. They are the most basic sandwiches sans all the bells and whistles. We are talking meat, cheese, lettuce, mayo, and bun. Of course there are options but they aren't too fancy. Refreshing. They don't hide the flavor of the meat under obnoxious sauces like some other AH HEM sangy shops. Also, good baked potatoes! Try the chili cheese...It might kill you but it would be a sweet way to go.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Do you remember the Sub Shop??? Two locations - downtown IC and by K-Mart, those were delicious! I wish they would open again!!!

Friday, March 31, 2006 12:39:00 PM

 
Blogger AnnieGavin said...

That's so funny...because I was going to post the same thing! The Sub Shop was so good! I miss it.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 10:27:00 AM

 
Blogger iowa city chick said...

Love the Sub Shop! I think if it would have been in a better locale, it would have survived. The sandwichs were almost as wide as they were long.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:27:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any difference between Jimmy John's and Milios? If they were both famous people would they be the same?

Thursday, September 07, 2006 2:57:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home