A native Iowa Citian who returned to raise my family here, I find myself *far* more opinionated when it comes to everything from the restaurants to the city council. Here is my $.02.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Mom Would Be Proud

In the words of my older (sometimes wiser) sister, I am becoming more like my mom everyday.

I did three things on Friday that I normally never do.

1.) I shopped at WalMart. WalMart is the devil. I don't believe in their corporate policies, despise their destruction of small town America and loathe the way they treat their employees. This being said, I am fiercely trying to stick to a budget. Okay, I saved A LOT of money. I even sort of got my jollies out of the whole saving money thing. Also, I had a cranky baby in tow, needed to go to the grocery store and Target. Super Target was out due to timing issues. (Can I just tell you that I got a three piece overalls outfit for my baby girl for $5? Yup. $5. And it's quite cute.)

2.) I cleaned with bleach. Bleach and I don't work well together. Must be because my mom used to bleach our whites. I never liked the way my clothes felt after being soaked in pure chemical solution. Especially underwear, the elastic would give out and that is never fun. Usually I clean with Meyers Lemon Verbena countertops spray. It's natural and doesn't kill our earth. Plus it smells damn good. I also have an affection for Melaleuca's EcoSense products although I am no longer a member. A nasty case of the flu bug and a sink that wouldn't scrub clean prompted me to pull out the bottle of bleach that I had stashed in case of an emergency. The smell was a bit much but my tubs, sinks, etc. have never sparkled so bright! My hands still stink but I can live with that. It brings me great joy to have a sparkling clean kitchen sink. I even keep walking into my kitchen just to see it again and again. Odd but true.

3.) I threw away 5 items that should have been recycled. You must see my recycling pile to understand why I couldn't bring myself to heap anything else on top of it. Oddly enough, when I told my brother I had done something "Crazy!" he said "What like throw away a plastic bottle?" Jesus, am I that predictable?

3 Comments:

Blogger Brando the Mando said...

I've done some work at Wal-Mart. The corporate folks are the most ethical individuals I have ever run into, BAR NONE! That includes my work at a non-profit blood bank, and a hospital in Arkansas. If you need Melaleuca stuff, call Chris. She's still selling the stuff.

Oh, and stop killing Mother Earth. :)

Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:18:00 PM

 
Blogger epotts said...

i am totally wiser! hahaha. i am so proud of you ... but do not make a habit out of throwing out the recycled items. is your husband reading this? is he too weak with illness to understand what you have done?

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:21:00 AM

 
Blogger threefunnymonkeys said...

My 2nd job ever was at Wal-Mart. It's the reason I don't shop there now. Assholes then, assholes now.

Monday, March 20, 2006 5:46:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home