A native Iowa Citian who returned to raise my family here, I find myself *far* more opinionated when it comes to everything from the restaurants to the city council. Here is my $.02.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Reduce Reuse Recycle

A good friend of mine recently pointed out to me that I am a wee bit of a hippy. True. My husband and I are avid recylcers and use mostly natural cleaning products...Except in my toilets because Lord knows only bleach kills that funk. In my defense, I love my modern conveniences, do shave, don't use drugs and out grew my tie dye phase in college.

Recycling is a passion of ours. It wasn't of mine the first 23 years of my life. I fought Matt tooth and nail on this issue. It was far easier to throw stuff away and be done with it. (I do occasionally have a relapse. Sometimes I just get mad at the 65 lbs. of recycling from two weeks of collecting on my back deck and throw away a milk jug. That is rebellion at it's finest. Even then I feel guilty. Please God of the Landfill, forgive me. I hath thrown recyclable materials into the heap. Sometimes I even dig it back out. Pathetic, I can't believe I am even admitting to it.)

Chomp on this thought before you toss another bottle into the trash. "It is important to remember that recycling recovers valuable raw materials. If we make aluminum cans from recycled cans, then we don't have to disturb the environment by mining and smelting the mineral bauxite which is used in the manufacture of aluminum. Recycling reduces pollution and saves energy." www.recycle.com

Matt always says "I want to leave this world a better place for my children." Sweet huh?

So after being named a hippy, I realized just how much we recycle. It would be more if we still had our compost bin but Oh. My. God. The wretched smell that seeped forth from that beauty could kill anything that came within 30 feet on a hot summer day. I said NO MORE. I am still shocked I won. Although Matt reads this blog and I can just tell you what I will probably now get for Valentine's day or Mother's day this year.

What do you recycle you ask?
Everything. Even Styrofoam is recyclable but our city doesn't do it because of the cost.

  • yogurt containers
  • milk gallons
  • boxes - food boxes (pasta, cereal, crackers, etc.) Kleenex, diapers, wipes, tooth paste refills, Swiffer refills, markers, paper, soap, etc.
  • shampoo bottles
  • insides tubes of paper towel and toilet paper rolls
  • clothing tags once you have taken off the annoying clear plastic connector
  • paperboard most often found on the back of a plastic covered toy
  • plastic bags
  • paper bags *although Hy Vee sells these canvas reusable bags that we use when we don't forget about them*
  • glass jars and bottles
  • aluminum cans
  • newspapers
  • pop, beer, wine and water bottles
  • mail - envelopes, magazines, catalogs *anything that does not have personal information on it, that stuff goes to the shredder*

I admit, I had to peek at my back deck to see what all was looming out there. Time to send hubby to the recycling center.

5 Comments:

Blogger epotts said...

i cannot believe i am commenting before mel!
i admire you and brownie's efforts ... i will admitt that because of you two, we are getting better at recycling.

it is either recycle or feel like a wasteful-horrible-the-world-will-self-destruct-because-of-me person! i love you two! we still have a long way to go ... considering i cannot stand to have shit "looming" on the back deck ... toss it!

Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:31:00 PM

 
Blogger Brando the Mando said...

Pop? Wtf is that? I think you mean Coke.

Friday, February 10, 2006 9:11:00 AM

 
Blogger threefunnymonkeys said...

Don't I feel like the biggest schmuck alive! I don't recycle at all. Well, I do throw all of my old bills & junk mail into the Shred-It bin at work - does that count? For anything? I'm not a horrible person.

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:31:00 AM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

I think I used the word "granola" to be exact! :o) But, I have to admit, you have made me much more aware of the recyclables we throw away every day. You would be proud of me, I saved my paper towel cardboard and threw it out with our newspapers!

Love your blogs! :o)

Monday, February 13, 2006 8:32:00 AM

 
Anonymous Garrett's Mama said...

Have you seen this water bottle? It is made from corn and is completely biodegradable. http://www.biotaspringwater.com
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has overflowing recycling bin. For the record, I love hippies as long as they shower. :)

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:42:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home